This lovely Madras curry recipe is an authentic take on a South Indian inspired favorite.
We have won Silver award from Outstanding Food Producers of New Zealand 2023. The judges said "Very appealing appearance and texture. Held up well with heating and the addition of coconut milk. Beautifully balanced flavor combinations with unique sour notes. Well done".
Ingredients: onion, tamarind, ginger, garlic, coconut powder, garam masala, sambar powder, curry powder, salt, mustard and cumin seeds, black gram dal and split yellow peas, asafoetida, curry leaf and canola oil.
Allergens: Nutmeg, mace.
Free from: msg, palm oil, preservatives, vinegar, nuts, gluten, soy, artificial colors and sugar.
It is vegan/vegetarian friendly.
Size - 300 ml jars
Storing; must be refrigerated for longer shelf life as it contains no chemicals, stabilizers or preservatives to extend shelf life.
1 Jar cooks 1 kg of protein (chicken, paneer, tofu) or vegetables.
To Marinate: take a tbsp. of the gravy and mix it with your protein/vegetable, set aside for about 15 - 30 minutes.
Four steps to make the best Madras curry:
- Sauté 1kg of your desired protein/ vegetable / tofu / paneer in a pan till it is cooked fully.
- Add this jar of Madras Curry Mix gravy and mix well.
Add ½ - 1 cup of hot water, mix well, check salt add if desired.
- Bring to one rolling boil, then remove from heat. Let it rest for about 5-10 minutes.
Finishing the curry
- Add finely chopped fresh coriander (optional).
- Sprinkle some Banu’s Curry Powder for extra flavors.
- If you are using yogurt whisk well (or else it will split), add a little taste and stop when you are happy with the taste.
- If you are using coconut cream, shake well add a little taste and add more if required stop when you are happy with the taste profile.
DON’T ADD TOO MUCH WATER AS THE COCONUT CREAM/ CREAM OR YOGHURT WILL DILUTE THE CURRY FURTHER. SLOWLY ADD CREAM OR COCONUT CREAM OR YOGHURT AND KEEP CHECKING THE TASTE STOP WHEN IT REACHES THE DESIRED TASTE AND CONSISTENCY.
1. The sauces in the fridge will stay well for 3 months.
2. Once you open it is highly recommended that you make the full curry and freeze the curry instead of leaving half a jar in the fridge as it has no preservatives or other ingredients to enhance the shelf life.
3. Please enjoy the sauce soon as it is super fresh with no nasties.
1. All sauces will be shipped in food grade pouches which are easy to freeze. This is to avoid glass shattering in transit.
2. Please refrigerate upon receiving your order.